Monday, June 05, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

WOW! I can't believe it. I am really 27 years old, today! My friend Janai told me to celebrate my birth month, not just my birthday. And I think I'll take her up on that. Besides, how often do you get to celebrate your 27th birthday? The answer is ONCE.

I've been in conversation with different people about my life. I've been encouraged to reflect on my past experiences and examine how I've changed from this point last year. "As I look back over my life, and I think things over, I can truly say that I've been blessed. I've got a testimony!"

It's weird, when I think about it. This time, last year, I was just graduating from the Christian Theological Seminary. I had completed my music courses at Butler University. I was glad to be done with it all. I was even more eager to START my life. At that point, everything was on hold for the simple reason of being enrolled in school.

Sadly, I struggled for months before I found a job. When I did land that job, I felt like I was well on my way. Since last year, I've started TWO new jobs, both with reputable companies. I've become engaged to my beautiful fiance', Miss Alexandria N. Crumble. I even released a CD with my church choir called "Heartburn," complete with concert and release party. God has truly been good to me.

In all that I've been blessed with, I can't help but remember how my life used to be. I used to travel every month. I flew from city to city. I stayed in the most exclusive of hotels. I served on executive boards and committees. I rode in limos and fancy cars. People looked forward to seeing me. I was actually received with open arms. What happened?

I can't say that a part of me doesn't miss the glitz and the glamor. It was definitely fun while it lasted. And the experiences have helped to make me a better person.

~Kevin J.

No comments: